Saturday 25 August 2012

LETTER TO TONY ABBOTT


10th April, 2012

The Honourable Tony Abbott MHR
Leader of the Opposition
Parliament House Canberra
Via email

Dear Mr Abbott,
RE: MURRAY DARLING BASIN PLAN

The time has come for you to come out with a definite stance in support of farmers and communities in the Murray Darling Basin.
Sure you have made a few token gestures and speeches but quite honestly that is not and will not be enough.

My family settled on the Murray River some 150 years ago so I believe I have an inherent knowledge of the Murray River, its environs and irrigation.
Since the start of the Basin plan consultation process I have been running a Facebook page and am in contact with people right across Australia, I have kept my audience small and targeted on purpose as I have wanted my page to be a forum for people like myself who have a deep concern about the Basin plan and who are extremely worried about its effects.
I believe the Green movement have way to much say in the media for the size of their support group.

This Basin plan is ridiculous in the extreme and can not I believe be made workable, it needs throwing away and starting again. Tony Burke and the MDBA are noted left wingers who have no idea about how badly affected Basin communities have been already by water buybacks.

IT WILL ALWAYS BE MY BELIEF THAT ALL WATER REQUIRED FOR ENVIRONMENTAL FLOWS PLUS MUCH MORE CAN BE ACHIEVED THROUGH INFRASTRUCTURE SPENDING, WHAT WE NEED IS VISION, DETERMINATION AND A PROPER TIME FRAME.

So Tony what I ask of you is to announce your definite stance on the Basin plan which hopefully supports us, remembering 2.1 million people are directly affected by the Murray Darling Basin and it feeds at least 40 million people daily.

Thank you for your time.

Yours Faithfully,
Peter Gilmour

No comments:

Post a Comment