Saturday 25 August 2012

LETTER TO SEN HELEN KROGER


3rd February 2012

Senator Helen Kroger
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Dear Senator Kroger,
Thank you for your response to my letter to you regarding the Murray Darling Basin plan, I can tell you I have had very few replies from both sides of politics.

Through my Facebook page “Save Murray Darling Basin communities” I have been and will continue to keep people updated with as much information as I can find.

The whole MDBA consultation process is a sham. The plan is disastrous for everybody living in the Murray Darling Basin and will impact on the food prices for all Australians. It is my belief that all water savings plus much more required for environmental flows can be achieved through infrastructure spending.

My family settled near Cobram nearly 150 years ago, I was a 3rd generation stock & station and real estate agent up until mental illness cut my career short. I have a deep understanding of irrigation, farming, the murray river and its environs along with our communities, so I am as well qualified or far better qualified to comment on the shocking Basin plan as anyone. I have always tried to keep my arguments balanced, but I get extremely annoyed at some of the statements Minister Tony Burke, the MDBA and Craig Knowles and Labor politicians come out with.

What we need now from the Liberal/National coalition is decisive action. Tony Abbot needs to come out publicly in support of the Murray Darling Basin and what the Coalition’s proposals are in relation to the plan. What I do not want to see is this fight becoming ugly, but the MDBA’s actions and statements just might see that happen.

This plan will affect the food security of Australia for not only our generation but all future generations, our fight really needs to be placed in the national spotlight with the Basin plan being put under the microscope.

Once again thank you for your time and hopefully we can all affect change to the Murray Darling Basin plan.

Yours Faithfully,

Peter Gilmour

No comments:

Post a Comment